04 January 2013

Bring it On 2013


A nice start to the new year with a cover assignment for the Journal. This was a four part set of 'different groupings' to compare what the new taxes will mean to certain wage earning families (single parent with kids, married couple with kids, single wage earner, retired couple). The funny part was, I was so worried about getting this done on time, that I spent the entire previous night dreaming that I was doing this project (although in my dream, the four elements were remarkably wacky and involved baking cakes and shipping them via fed x, using special retro typewriters that needed to be sent to me by the client, etc etc). Was happy to find, when I awoke, that the project went much more painlessly.



Been working on 'Amish Girls' sketches the rest of the time this week, as I've got another edition of that book series to look forward to in the second half of the month.

3 comments:

toothlesshag said...

Hi there! I like your art. Just so you know, this has totally gone viral. I wonder if you knew your drawing of a single mom would be making $260k a year when you submitted this? I can understand if you didn't write the copy. Gosh, that's a lot of money. I checked out your site to see if I could figure out if you were trying to be serious or satrical.

toothlesshag said...

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-poor-poor-rich-of-wall-street.html <---commentary on your cartoon, after it is being passed on facebook.

Tim said...

As usual with these assignments, I'm given a bare outline of what is needed (ie: single mom with two kids, retired couple, etc) and little, if any of the actual copy that will accompany them... and when I eventually saw the article, my jaw dropped at the salaries assigned to each of these people. They obviously didn't base them on illustrator's salaries.