10 April 2009

April Showers


April is shaping up to be a fairly steady month, and I've had several interesting projects over the past few weeks. The illustration above is another fiction piece for Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine. This was an interesting story with a murder victim who operated an old style printing press, and took me back down memory lane. The first job I ever applied for in high school was at a local printer/newspaper who still used these old lead typesetting chunks.

The illustration below was a two page spread for Business North Carolina, and was about Mexican laborers leaving the state due to the poor job market. I tried to emulate a Diego Rivera style, mostly in the color scheme, and worked in oil pastels instead of the usual oil paints to give it a little more texture.

I also had a rush job for the Wall Street Journal this week. 4 spots trying to explain how the 'toxic assets' funds from the government were going to work. Below that, is an illustration for the Chronicle of Higher Education, accompanying an article about the popular grammar textbook that has been in use in college writing classes for the past 50 years (and the author had a rather dubious opinion of its worth and merits).



Also, this week, I did a pair of short presentations at a middle school in Lansing. I showed the kids some samples of my work, gave a demonstration of 'digital drawing', and got the kids involved in some messy charcoal sketches. Not something I do all that often, and it was a fun break from the routine.

No comments: