05 March 2009

Not quite the Ides of March, but close enough


March has started fairly strong, with plenty of work on the docket, and looks to be so for the coming weeks at least. The large overseas 'board game' project continues to take up a majority of my time, and I should have some samples to post near the end of the month. In the meantime, I also had several other projects come across the desk in the past few weeks. The above illustration, for the Chronicle of Higher Education should appear in an upcoming issue, and the illustration below, was another fiction illustration for Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, one of my longest running clients (this year will mark 20 years of working together).


This past weekend I also had a few quick turnaround illustrations for the Far Eastern Economic Review in Hong Kong. The above illustration was for a cover, and I also had a portrait assignment (below).


More portraits were in store for me this past week, with an assignment from the North Carolina Business Review. A rather fun assignment where I had to surround the portrait subject with a boardroom staffed with bobble head dolls. The complete two page spread is pictured above, and I have zoomed in on the right side of the image to show detail below.

Also this week, I had another 'health care' illustration for the Wall Street Journal, this one having to do with a new form of Alzheimer's medication. The original sketch had the character sweeping off a brain, but the editors felt it might 'gross people out', so we went with an 'elderly head' as an alternate idea. Personally, I thought it ended up looking like a treatment for dandruff with this change, but what do I know?

No comments: