17 March 2008

Ides of March


Spring is starting to make a tentative appearance around here. This 'blustery' illustration above was for Barrons last week.

Over the weekend I had a small 'online blog' illustration for the Far Eastern Economic Review's new website. This would be an ongoing usage icon (and larger usage on a linked page) for the upcoming Taiwan elections, featuring a caricature of the two rival candidates (link to blog).

Had some bad news from a long time client late last week. Newsday, the long island newspaper who I had been working for since 1994, gave their art director an early retirement. There's been a lot of attrition in my customer list over the past year, which is making me a little bit nervous for the future.

Meanwhile, the Chronicle of Higher Education, after warning me of a possibility of slow down in '08, have been keeping me quite busy over the past few months.

I had another series of small 'election topic' spots for a series of roundtable articles in the last issue. These all dealt with immigration from various angles. I also had a color illustration for the same client early this week for an article about 'searching for university presidents'.


I've also been working on this years' 'oscar poster', which I got a real late start on this season, due to the workload. Hopefully I'll have it done in the next week or so. Also starting to work on a few postcard ideas to try and drum up some new business.

No comments: