09 April 2000

April color work


The above illustration was for my east coast newspaper client. This was for a special automobile supplement. The second time I would illustrate the cover for this particular annual feature (I would do two more the following couple of years). I was given a lot of freedom as far as the 'make of car' that would be pictured, but since I was particularly enamored of the PT Cruiser when I had seen a few of them in Florida the previous year (and would buy one the following year), I decided to use it as my model. Working against conventions, I decided to approach the 'auto illustration' with a softer pastel approach.

Another illustration for the same client (above), this one on diversity in the workplace. Had the idea of showing different backgrounds, heritages, alignments, etc through the types of coffee cups that people would use, rather than the usual 'crowd of people' that seems to be the fallback solution for illustrations of this sort. Not crazy about my overuse of purple (something that seems to plague a lot of the illustrations during this time).

The illustration to the left was for an evangelical magazine client (more purple again unfortunately), and was for one of their 'women's publications'. I again used pastels for the medium, but experimented with a little different 'paper choice' which yielded some interesting results.

A new east coast newspaper/magazine client called up out of the blue in April with two back to back assignments. The first one was an image depicting the Jewish 'Seder' holiday (pictured below), and another one was a black and white illustration (pictured in another post this month).


This month marked the last assignment from a national glossy mystery magazine that was rather short lived (I worked for this publication since its inception over two years ago). This was a mystery fiction magazine sized publication geared towards a mostly female readership, and its 'parent publication' was a rather well known national women's magazine. I mostly did 'famous character' portraits for this client over the past few years, and my final assignment for them, was an actual story illustration with a puzzle piece theme.

No comments: