05 August 2002

Anatomy Lessons


I was given a 'book review' illustration to do by my east coast newspaper client in August, and the book was about a hermaphrodite, so I had the idea of taking a few greek statues and mixing up the parts, which the AD gave the go ahead to. I did the finish, but then the editors got a look at it, and objected to the penis, so I had to do some rearranging to make it "less noticable". I fixed per their request, but all the same I was scratching my head about what the revised illustration now had to do with the story. I liked the original better, so I had the foresight to save both versions. I thought I'd post both of them here. The one below is the illustration that got published.


Above is an illustration on 'bonds' for my national newspaper client. Also, in a 'investment' vein, are a few illustrations for an in-house newsletter for a corporate client of mine that I had just started working with this year. From the looks of the illustrations, I'd guess that the financial outlook is looking rather bleak for the forseeable future.

These 'newsletter' projects were a regular quarterly affair, and each contained either 3 or 4 illustrations, all pertaining to different aspects of investments, taxes, retirement, trust funds, etc. One large main illustration (pictured below, the businessmen walking along the rocky terrain), plus a few smaller spots (the hourglass, the waterfall, the tightrope)
The tightrope walker was popular enough, that I was asked to recreate it a few months later in a larger format for a different usage.





The boardroom meeting illustration above, the 'everglades' illustration to the left, and the 'uncle sam in a bathtub' illustration below, were all for my national newspaper client in August. A rather busy month for this client, when you also take into account the regular health care spots and a few other assorted black and white pieces that I posted in a separate entry this month.


I also had an assignment for my east coast newspaper client around this time, this one being a color piece on the endlessly ongoing Israel/Palestine conflict.
The illustration below was another scratchboard piece for a catholic magazine.

No comments: