01 August 2007

Little Packages

A lot of little spots during this period just prior to our planned family vacation in the middle of August. The regular bi-monthly 'health column' spot illustrations for the Wall Street Journal came in a bunch in order to free up the time later in the month, thanks to the generosity of the client. This piece on the left is actually from the end of July, about some sort of dental device to combat sleep apnea. Then shortly thereafter I began work on the upcoming weeks' column which was something about minerals to prevent wrinkles (if I remember correctly). I don't quite remember what happened here, but I think I got okayed to finish one of the ideas I presented, but then the editors changed their mind and went with another idea. Anyways I've got two illustrations for the same date, and I don't remember which one they eventually used (though it may have been the black and white one)


A quickie little border cartoon for Highlights magazine to go around a MLK quote on racial harmony, was another of the 'smaller sized' assignments I was doing around this time.

A same day illustration for Newsday, to accompany an essay by a doctor on differing 'bedside manner techniques' came in the middle of the week (pictured below). Had to do a little research on 'hospital gurneys'. Amazing the things you see often in your life, but never really take a good look at.



The piece to the left was for another for the Wall Street Journal to accompany a chart on the market fluctuations. Seems as if the bear market and bull market were teetering back and forth at the time. I've lost track of how many bears and bulls I've done over the past ten years, but I'm sure it is an impressive number. The illustration below and to the right was for the Chronicle of Higher Education, something to do with college accreditation. Don't normally enjoy drawing buildings but this wasn't too bad, as I was able to hide quite a lot of it behind the hands and tape measure (and of course a generous dose of ivy helps sell the 'university'-ness of the building).

Around this time I also got an assignment from Niche Media, for one of their regional publications, that needed a caricature of Michael Moore for an editorial piece on his influence and co-opting of the democratic party. Didn't quite enjoy this project so much. Aside from finding the editorial disagreeable, and being an admirer of Mr. Moore (fellow Flint-oid that I am), I also didn't like the cheap shot of playing off his weight for the humor. But I rarely get to do caricatures and really enjoy the challenge, so I just grinned and worked through it. (didn't think the donkey turned out all that good either).

Anyhow, a lot of small pieces over the past few weeks, which I really don't mind at all. But, like popcorn and junk food, a steady diet of this could get a little monotonous.

No comments: