03 September 2007

Architecture


One of my least favorite things to draw is either automobiles or buildings, but this week I had a number of 'architecture heavy' assignments that I'm rather pleased with how they turned out.

The one above was for a long time client of mine, a small mystery fiction digest that I've been working for off and on since my first year in business (back in '89). The pay isn't great, but the assignments are usually interesting, and give me a chance to imagine myself a pulp artist from the 40s, and the chance to illustrate fiction comes along much too rarely these days. Also, they are always in black and white, which is an enjoyable medium to work in for me, and I frequently get some nice pieces out of the deal. This one was set in quasi-medieval times, which is sort of unusual for this publication, as the stories usually involve something a bit more noir-ish.


Over the weekend, I had a couple illustrations to do for my Hong Kong client, both involving architecture in one way or another. The one above having to do with historical buildings (the symbol on the wall being some sort of 'historical designation mark' I believe). The illustration below was more of an 'overview article' about power and industrialization, and the layout and idea were left pretty open to me, the only stipulation being that it needed to have a certain 'asian/chinese' flavor to it.


Another long time client who I hadn't heard much from the past year contacted me with a project during this week. A religion magazine who I've been working with since about 1990 needed a cartoonish scene of college students decked out in their 'catholic college colors'. Involved a bit of research on the school designs and logos. A cartoonish style that I use more and more rarely these days. Nice to get a chance to dabble in it again.


And then, finally, another quick same day illustration for my national newspaper client. Something to do with group dynamics or committee idea generating. I don't usually like to involve greyscale with the scratchboard style (unless it is unavoidable, as it usually is when I'm supposed to provide both a color and black and white version to the client), but in this case I wanted to play around with the clouds and lightning which wouldn't have worked as well as line art.


Also, around this time, I had a piece for an east coast newspaper client on the anniversary of the constitution. Rather simple design, and incorporated a bit of 'collage' technique, but turned out rather nice.

No comments: