20 July 2007

Summertime and the Drawing Is Easy



Height of summer and the jobs seem to be in the same 'summertime mood'. The above illustration was a cover illustration for Barrons. The topic was tailor made for me, as this was where my head was at a lot of the time this summer (although my body didn't always get to follow). Also learned that the art director is also a fellow sailor, and he plans on stopping by on his trip through the Great Lakes in a few years time. I'll have the coronas iced and ready for him.

Even my regular 'health column' gig for WSJ seemed to know that it was the height of summer and gave me a piece on 'swimmer's ear'. (pictured, right) Aside from the becalmed sailboat assignment above, the same client gave me a few more projects during this two week span. A piece on 'housing investment risks' (below, left) and another one on plummeting stock prices (below, right)

Also, during this time, I was hard at work on a quartet of illustrations for AG Edwards' quarterly newsletter. I don't include samples of these illustrations in deference to the agreement with the client regarding usage.

The Chronicle of Higher Education handed me a couple of related spots for a pair of articles about connectivity and isolationism in the university realm, and after a series of sketches, we eventually settled on the pair that are pictured below. Like bears and bulls, I've lost track of how many times I've drawn a mortarboard in the past 20 years.



The Wall Street Journal handed me a few assignments, aside from the usual 'health care' column (swimmer's ear, above). A black and white spot to accompany a chart - another bull of course, plus another same day illustration around this time where I got to indulge in one of my least favorite subjects to draw; not one, but two cars. This one was supposed to portray an old time investor versus a couple of young west coast upstarts. I seem to be getting a little better at the cars, trying to find a good balance between accurate research into what cars really look like, and a slight bit of stylization in order to keep them from looking too static.

Besides bears, bulls, and mortarboards, another cliche I'd like to try and avoid in the future is the old tried and true 'bag of money with a dollar sign on it', but sometimes you just can't avoid the cliche's when they help get the point across in a quick and painless way.

No comments: