18 September 2006

The Usual Suspects


The end of September brought cooler temperatures, the back to school routine, our son's leadership conference to Washington DC and preparations to host a German exchange student in the following weeks. Work continued steady throughout the month, mostly with my regular clients, and the illustration above was a same day job for Newsday, regarding Canadian Geese populations and the nuisance they were perceived to be by area golf courses. The same client provided me with another say day project during this period with the illustration below, a piece on local citizens moving away. Unfortunate to have had to use lettering on the truck to spell out the concept, but as I remember, it was a specific request from the editors.

The illustration to the left was another of my 'dubious health care' column pieces that I do every other week for the Wall Street Journal. This one was on some sort of musical based sleep aid.
The same client kept me pretty busy with a few other assignments. A chart accompaniment for the Sunday edition in black and white featuring our old friend 'the bull', this time voicing his opinion at the voting booth (named as such, so you don't get confused). And another same day piece for the same client at another time during this period involved taking referrals when looking for new hires. This one was commissioned in color, but I'm not sure if it actually ran in the paper that way. (pictured, left)

Barrons provided me with a few other assignments. One of them on female promotions (at least that is what I remember, something about needing to blow your own horn?) for which I brought out another bit player from the cliche bullpen, the 'promotion ladder'.
Another assignment for the same client involved selling off bits of your own company's stock in order to keep the business running, for which I came up with the following conceptual solution, with a boat being cannibalized in order to keep the furnaces running.
The Chronicle of Higher Education provided me with a nice cover illustration assignment, for which I was to come up with some sort of concept that involved 'twisting the percentages' (a companion piece that goes with it, I have included in October's postings). (pictured below)


The only job during this period that I would consider in any way 'out of the ordinary', was this 'spec' job that was done as a test for the American Bar Association. They needed to change the artwork for a regular feature for which they had been using some old clip art for in the past, and wanted me to take a stab at it, and if it was accepted, then long term usage could be discussed at a later time. I did another one for this same client, which I included in the following month's blog entry. Nothing ever came of these two specs.

No comments: