02 March 2006

In Like a Lion


Some interesting pieces came through in the early part of March. The illustration above was for the Chronicle of Higher Education, and had something to do with predicting upcoming supreme court battles.

And as a nice break from the routine, I had a trio of black and white assignments from Cicada magazine (the 'older brother publication' to Cricket, published primarily in Black and White). Since I was assigned two stories in the same issue, I tried to make each of them slightly different in style. The one above was to accompany a poem about a moose, and the two below was about a friendship between a couple of high school students, and one of them gets a rather provacative tattoo. Fun to stretch a little and try out new styles, even if I sometimes fall flat on my face. Thanks to my wife for her beautiful hands on the 'moose' picture, always a pleasure to draw.


Around this time, I also received an illustration assignment from a new client, Banking Journal, who wanted me to draw a humorous scene of bank customers auditioning for the bank officers. If you look closely, you can see a self portrait hiding in the crowd of potential auditioners.



I got a rather complex piece from Newsday. This one a 'maze' illustration having to do with prescription drugs, and I remember it was a logistical challenge, working out the maze so that it was actually 'solvable' (didn't occur to me in the first version, so I had to go back and revise the illustration). A nice piece when we eventually finished with it, and worth the trouble.


And finally, I got a job from a new client, The New Zealand Herald, who had, at the time, the distiction of being the furthest geographically of any client I had heretofor worked for. It was interesting working for someone on the far side of the globe, where it was technically already 'tomorrow' when the job was assigned. The job had something to do with religious tensions, and the sample pictured is actually only half of the original illustration, which had a big color sky section above, for text to be placed over.

No comments: