20 October 2005

Newspaper work


As I dig deeper into the archives, I keep running across earlier examples of what I thought was a fairly recent development in my technique with regards to portraying a 'globe'. Each time I think I've found the earliest example of when I started using this technique, and then I find another one even earlier. (using a photoshop 'spherize' filter on parallel scratchboard rake lines to get the 'rounded look', and then using multiple overlapping layers for different colors and shading). Maybe this is the earliest example of it (until I find an even earlier one). All the pieces in this post were for the Wall Street Journal. The above one was no doubt to do with the global market. The piece to the left was another for the same client, having to do with local homecoming football celebrations.

I had a couple of 'health care' column spots during the month of October for the same client. These come about every two weeks, and are usually about dubious health care fads. I usually provide a trio of ideas for each column, and sometimes the client chooses one of the more outre ideas, and other times one of the more conservative ideas. The one to the left is a good example of one of the more goofy concepts, being about a new method of 'egg pasteurization'.
The spot to the left is a good example of one of my 'middle of the road' concepts. Not quite totally conservative, but with just a touch of humor. This was a tricky one involving a gizmo worn on the wrist that monitors different body signals and lets off an alarm when the female is most apt to conceive.


The black and white illustration above was for the same client, and accompanied an article concerning 5 'stock buying tips'.

Sometimes this client merely gives me the article and lets me come up with concepts on my own, and at other times I am given a pretty cut and dry idea of what the editors are looking for. I don't remember for sure, but I'm pretty positive that these last two illustrations were based on ideas from the editors. I don't normally like to include 'explanatory text' in the illustrations, preferring instead to let the images do the talking, but sometimes it is at a specific request of the editors.

Another example of the 'text heavy' illustrations that sometimes are unavoidable is below. A piece on war protesters for Newsday. Not only lots of text, on signs and tee shirts, but also the classic cliche 'see no evil' monkey pose.

No comments: