05 September 2005

Newspaper Work

Had a number of assignments from various newspaper clients of mine during the month of September. The caricature of George Bush to the right was something to do with either his crumbling support in the Republican party, or to do with his crumbling legacy. Anyhow, something's crumbling. Not one of my best W likenesses, but I had a lot of fun with the pillar at the bottom. This one was for Newsday.



For the Wall Street Journal, I had the above 'stock ticker' illustration. I don't remember why it is full of water, but I like the simple image. Judging from the size and the fact that it is in black and white leads me to believe this was one of those Sunday 'chart accompaniment' illustrations.


The illustration above was for Barrons, a publication affiliated with the WSJ that I'd just started working for the previous month. I don't remember if this was one of my concepts or if this was supplied by the editors.
Another piece for the same client is below, this one I am pretty sure was an idea provided by the client. A little awkward, but I did the best I could to pull it off.

Also during this month, for Newsday, I had a series of small 'financial' cartoon spots for a lifestyle article. These concerned a variety of topics, money for schools, inheritances, severance packages, social security, etc. All tied together with that old cliche standby, the bag of money with a dollar sign on it.

I hadn't done a 'cartoon' piece in quite a while, and it was fun to go back and revisit this style which had at one time been a much bigger part of my regular business.

If I had to pick a favorite out of these five spots, it would have to be the 'inheritance' piece. Most of the rest of them were rather straightforward and dry, and I was pleasantly surprised that this rather macabre concept got by the editors. From a purely design and color standpoint, though, I think the 'college girl' was the most pleasing visually (following a close second, the 'retiree' with his glowing gold retirement watch).






I also had a few small 'health care' spots for the Wall Street Journal. These are usually about 'dubious health care claims', and I try to provide three concepts for each topic, some more goofy than others. Both of the ones chosen this month were fairly cut and dry and conservative. The one above about 'elderly eyesight problems', and the one below, was actually about a special brand of shoe.

No comments: