05 August 2005

Misc August Spots


An assignment for Barrons offered me the chance to work on a few of my least favorite subjects, airplanes and architecture. However, I kept the airplane to a rather simple shape sticking into the right side of the picture frame, and immersed myself into the detailing on the courtroom facade, and was surprised to find myself with a pretty nice illustration. One of those rare ones where I'm actually pleased with the layout and design over the actual rendering.
Another assignment for the same client is pictured below. This one was to picture an investor calm cool and collected despite the 'rising flood waters' around him. Gave me another chance to sneak my dog 'Lady' into the picture.

One thing I never do get tired of drawing, is old time sailing vessels. The Chronicle of Higher Education gave me the spot pictured to the left where I could work on my 'water & boat' skills. I don't quite remember the angle of the story. I do like how the water turned out on this one. I continue to try different 'water' techniques, hoping to find one that is fairly expedient to draw, and at the same time looks realistic and fits the scratchboard style well.


Also, during the month of August, I had a trio of 'health care' spots for the Wall Street Journal(being a longer month than usual). There was a period in the early part of the month where I went through a major dry spell as far as new assignments, and I was grateful to still have these semi-monthly regular spot illos coming in to cushion the dry spells. The one to the right was about a new technique for getting rid of cellulite. The one below and to the left was some sort of skin cream for helping with middle aged women's 'flabby arm skin'.


The third spot of the month had to do with some new sort of 'vibrating exercise machine' if memory serves me correctly.

Also, for the same client, I had another small color spot, that had something to do with 'brainwashing', or at least that's what I remember. I liked this illustration so well, that the following year, I recycled it as part of a postcard mailing promoting my 'spot illustration' skills.

And for the same client, I also had a spot illustrating a story about Japan's Prime Minister hoping to rally his downturning economy. The likeness of the PM wasn't entirely necessary, but I remember taking great pains to do a good portrait despite the tiny size of the illustration. Hoping to push my 'portraiture skills' to this client, as they probably don't think of me in that capacity. While I still never get much portraiture assignments from this client, I would later do a number of them for an affiliated client overseas.

Another strange assignment for the same client this month, was the 'border illustration' that I did (pictured below) regarding the online spam email phenomenon known as 'phishing'. An unusual awkward shape to work with on this one, but I thought I filled it well.

No comments: