29 June 2005

Waiting Around for Rehnquist


I actually got assigned this Rehnquist portrait almost a month earlier, since the news of his imminent retirement, illness, looming death seemed to be on the news for a while before it actually happened. I was starting to get a reputation for being the 'dead guy portrait artist' at Newsday, so I was given the heads up about this portrait way in advance. Then it was just a matter of waiting around until the guy finally shuffled off. Kind of melancholy in a way, because some of my earliest assignments when I started out, were of the supreme court, and for years I provided art for Legal Times who regularly did stories on the court decisions, so I've gotten to know this guy's face quite well over the past 15 years. I saved the best for last.

No comments: