25 June 2005

Nautical Postcard Pays Off


The nautical themed postcard that I sent out last fall paid off in a big way this month with a multi-image assignment from D Magazine out of Texas. This story involved a group of cuban refugees who travelled through a hurricane to reach the Texas coast in a small motorboat. The above illustration appeared in the magazine as a 1&1/2 page spread, and was quite fun and dramatic to put together. I also had a smaller 'map insert' that chose to do in a slightly different style. I hadn't done a map in quite a while, and I forgot how much fun they could be. It is a totally different experience working on a map, than it is drawing a 'scene' like the one above. You seem to use a different side of your brain while you work on it, and it is a nice break from the routine. In addition, I also was asked to provide a horizontal 'waves' picture that could be used along the bottom of subsequent pages in the article.


Then, for the Chronicle of Higher Education, I had to put my conceptual skills to the test, for an article about psychology in middle aged adults. I almost used this one as a promo postcard later in the year, but changed my mind at the last minute.

Then I had an unusual fiction piece for Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine. This one was set in a fictional 'middle ages' era, and concerned a travelling musician. I liked the layout of this one, a little different than the usual scenes I churn out for this publication.

No comments: