10 April 2005

Misc Spots for April


The above same day illustration was for Newsday, to accompany an editorial about George Bush's foreign policy. A fun piece, that turned out quite nice.
And another rush piece for the same client is pictured below, this one having something to do with Vietnam. A little different than my usual look for scratchboard, utilizing a 'pepperspray' technique over part of the illustration to give it a little different texture.


The above fiction piece for Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine is pictured above. I don't quite remember the story, but I remember having to do a bit of research on victorian houses and a certain make of car that was a central 'clue' of the story. Frequently, when I have a 'license plate' opportunity in an illustration, where it doesn't have to be something specific, I sneak in my son's initials and birthdate.


Only two 'health care' column spots for the WSJ according to my records this month. Not sure why. Perhaps because of a vacation we took early in the month for spring break to see my grandmother and celebrate her 90th birthday. Anyhow, the two spots above were about allergies, and about tobacco companies trying to push 'chewing tobacco' as an alternative to smoking. Also, for the Journal, I had a piece on Indian business practices (the pole vault piece below), and another one depicting a 'buy/sell' electric shock experiment, although for the life of me I can't remember what the article could have been about. (pictured left).

In addition, this month I also had an assignment for AG Edwards. I don't publish those pieces here because of our contractual agreement, but I may publish them in the future when the contracted time has elapsed.

I had a few assignments for US Catholic this month. The above cartoon was to go across a two page spread, and dealt with the Pope's busy schedule. The piece below was about charitable giving, and teaching your children to be more generous.

And finally, this month, I had a full page color illustration for Diversity magazine. This was one of those concepts that was provided by the client, and I served to 'put it to paper'. I like a little input in the creative process, but too much, and the drawings can sometimes turn out a bit stale.

No comments: