15 April 2005

Children's Workbook Project

In April, I had a project involving a series of spots for Quarasan publishing. In previous years, this client dealt with me through an agent that I had at the time, but since I hadn't heard from her in a number of years, these were handled directly by me. I don't remember what these illustrations were about, but I can surmise that a few of them were some sort of rhyme scheme (goat in a boat, frog on a log, etc). A number of them seemed to have something to do with classic fairie tales (goldlocks, three pigs, etc). Since I don't remember what kind of contract I signed when I did these, I probably won't be offering these up as reprints, but include them here for historical purposes.

I last drew 'goldilocks and the three bears' a number of years earlier for a children's book for a different publisher. I tried not to make them look too similar to the previous incarnation, but looking back at them now, I think they look remarkably similar.


Not crazy with how the wolf turned out in this 'three little pigs' illo, I think I went a little too realistic with him. The pigs turned out cute, though.

This cartoon style got a lot more usage back in the early years, but it has sort of dwindled down, and scratchboard has taken over as my primary bread and butter style. Perhaps due to a decrease in the amount of 'children's publishing' work that I've been taking in over the past few years. I should probably design a postcard that features this style, if I want to get back to doing more of this kind of work.


I tried to give all of these illustrations a similar background color, in order to tie them all together. I think it may have been a mistake, though. The overabundance of yellow gets to be a bit much after a while.


No comments: