10 February 2005

Deja Vu


The illustration above, for Log Home Living, was to illustrate a story about getting the whole family involved in designing your 'dream home'. The next month, I would be asked by the publication to do another version of the same illustration with regards to traditional home materials (changing the lincoln logs that the child is playing with to legos) (for their sister publication Timber Home), change the image on the blueprint and computer screen, change the picture that the little girl is drawing). I ended up redrawing the whole thing from scratch, but the layout and characters stayed pretty much the same.


The four 'health care' spots above were for my ongoing column gig that I do every monday for the Wall Street Journal. The topics were; ear wax removal, chocolate being good for your heart, organic vegetables (a favorite illo, was a blast to draw), and bad breath.
Had an unusual assignment from the same client. The request was to draw a map of Iraq in the form of a prism so that a beam of light hits it and breaks up into different colors of the spectrum (perhaps to show how Iraq was breaking into different factions?). It kept getting more unusual as the job progressed, as certain restrictions were put on me, for instance, they didn't want a completely black background - I got them to compromise with half of it being black - how you were supposed to draw a beam of light against a white background I wasn't quite able to figure out. Then the piece ended up being printed in black and white, so the colors don't even show up in the printed final (I can't imagine it made a lot of sense to the readers). One of those cases where an idea sounds great on paper, but doesn't quite work as a visual (unless it is my own shortcomings as an artist that couldn't pull it off)
Another spot for the same client is to the right. This one having to do with preparing for doing your tax returns.

Then, Newsday handed me a same day illustration (pictured below) that was to accompany an editorial that reviewed the president's state of the union address, making the point that the president 'played the crowd like a conductor'. It was an unusual angle to draw a likeness from, and I'm not quite satisfied that I pulled it off.

No comments: