10 August 2004

Seeing Spots


The piece above, was for US Catholic magazine, and went with an article about the current rash of documentaries in the theaters that summer (notably 'Farenheit 911' and 'Supersize Me').
The media was also in the news in the Wall Street Journal, although I can't quite remember what the topic for this one was about (or what the word 'thomson' on the television was referring to).


And for the same client, my monthly quota of 'health care' spots for their weekly column. Prior to August, we are entering the black and white era of this particular illustration series. I would occasionally get the go-ahead to do the spot in color, but it was more of a rarity than the norm. Depending on the topic, I would choose to either go with straight line work, or a combination of line and grey wash (the 'alcoholic' spot above seemed to work better as a grey wash, due to the way I decided to treat the martini glass, and also in the case of the 'sunburn' spot, where I wanted to use grey to indicate the 'tan lines'). These spots concerned 'eating according to blood type', 'eliminating wrinkles', 'acoholism gene', 'sunurn lotion', and another one that had something to do with cactus (although I don't remember what).
I also had a small portrait spot for Newsday around this time, when there were questions popping up regarding John Kerry's military service.

No comments: