12 January 2004

Greasy Kid Stuff


Had a fun project to start the year out right. Got contacted by an independent recording artist, Paul Lippert, for a cd cover illustration for an upcoming 'children's music' release (Raspberry Records). I tried to incorporate bits from almost every song on the album in the picture. Lots of fun to work on, wish I got more 'cd cover' assignments. Still available on Amazon, check the 'bibliography' for a link.


Other children's work I had in January included the above piece for Oddysey (Cobblestone).

The above illustration was for Cricket magazine to accompany a funny poem about a disasterous violin concert. It's funny sometimes how you land assignments. This client knew that I was in a cello quartet of adult students, and for a period I would get quite a few 'music related' assignments, since I had that particular quirk about me that brought my name to mind. I've gotten lots of 'sailing' work in the past few years thanks to a 'sailing postcard' I sent out later this year, and the fact that many of my clients know that I sail in the summer on Lake Michigan. Not that I mind any of it, I just find it interesting how I seem to get pigeonholed from time to time, when above all, what I like the most, is variety. I suppose the best way to separate yourself from the vast mountain of illustrator competition is to have some sort of 'identifiable niche' that helps you stick in the client's memory.


I also had another 'workbook' project for Carson Dellosa. This one was larger than usual, approximately 70 illustrations (of which I've chosen a small sampling to post here). Most of them were rather small in size, and many seemed to have something to do with bugs and/or fairytales. I've chosen a further sampling to post in another blog entry (link here)
These were for the most part a lot of fun to do, although at such a quantity and at such a tight time frame, they could tend to get a little tiresome. I eventually ended up doing 9 of the books in this series over the course of the coming year, and they had the unexpected benefit of vastly improving my black and white line work due to the sheer repetition.

No comments: