21 January 2003

Sillouettes and Shadows


The full page illustration above was for the American Bar Association, and had something to do with private corporate jets, and their hidden dangers. Not a comfortable illustration for me. Airplanes are about the hardest thing to draw, and the curved hangar roof wasn't any picnic either. What saved this one, I think was the rough approach that I applied to everything to keep it dark and sinister, and the color choices, which help cover a lot of the perspective boo-boos.

Another odd assignment this month, was for a design firm on the east coast, who wanted a series of plumbing pipes to snake across a couple pages of their magazine layout, plus a small sillouette of an Amish buggy. I don't remember what this story was about, and I wasn't crazy about the concept, but I gave it my best shot, giving the only available rendered elements the best detailing I could give them. (I was remembering a card game we had as kids called 'pipeworks' or something, where you had to build an elaborate system of plumbing and add leaks to each other's 'pipes' and then fix them - the drawings of the pipes on those cards always fascinated me)


Another large full page assignment is pictured above. This was I think the second out of 4 auction 'scenes' that I would eventually do for this client, National Auctioneers. This one was probably the best one from a 'crowd' standpoint, although I didn't like having to put all that text and extraeneous detail on the signs and podium.

Newsday handed me a strange request in January. They wanted a rather stylized 'black sheep' for some reason or another. It turned out a little forced and awkward I thought. I don't quite remember the story behind this one.

The above illustration was another fiction piece for Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine. There wasn't much to go on with this story as I remember. The story centered on a carton of guns, and I tried to focus in on that, while giving a little hint of mystery or menace through the cast shadow on the box.

No comments: