03 October 2002

Maps 'n Roses


There's no predicting what will inspire me. I had an assignment this month for a children's history periodical where I was asked to draw a series of vignettes about various semi-famous 'nurses in history', and it involved research and period costumes, and you would think that it would be an interesting, challenging assignment. It wasn't. I cranked them out seemingly on autopilot, and they ended up looking rather dull and uninspired (see the other posting for October). But for the same publisher, the same month, different publication (geography this time), I was asked to do a rather straightforward topographical map of Taiwan. Rather dull, one would think, but I jumped right at this assignment, in the zone the entire time I'm working on it, completely unaware of how much time I'm spending at the drawing board. Ended up being one of my favorite assignments of the month.

Another map assignment for the same client is below, this one having something to do with Europe (but I don't remember the particulars). Not quite as nice as the one above, but I seem to remember having fun with this one too.


I also had a companion piece to the Taiwan map above, this one having something to do with showing the different ethnic regions in the country (if I remember correctly). This one wasn't quite as much fun, just a matter of copying the reference materials in a colorful manner.

I also had a couple 'puzzle page' assignments for the same client, for their 'science' periodical. The one below was sort of a 'story problem', having to do with an archaeological dig, and the one below that was something to do with penguins.


Also this month, for the same client was the 'rose border' seen below. I don't remember the story behind this one, but this was a departure for me, stylewise, and I was kind of pleased with how they turned out (although the background wasn't the best choice).

This month I took another 'departure' piece for my east coast newspaper client. They wanted a faux 'monopoly'-ish game board designed to illustrate the problems that the UN inspectors were having in keeping tabs on Sadam's weapons developments. (the 'Osama who?' space on the right was my own subversive addition to the concept). I had a lot of fun with this one, trying for more of a photo realistic look than I usually do, also doing some fun little iconic cartoon designs on the game spaces. This one would go over so well, that I was asked to do another one for another topic the next summer.

No comments: