10 October 2002

Black and White World


The above fiction piece was for my long time 'mystery digest' client. I don't quite remember the story all that well, but I seem to remember it had a vaguely 'medieval' feel to it, and there was a 'princess in disguise' who gets discovered by an adventurer, and this particular scene takes place in the hayloft of a barn. This was one of my favorite pieces for this client around this time. I thought I handled the lights and darks quite well, mixing up the patterns, and using some fun dramatic lighting.

Another nice black and white piece around this time was for my east coast newspaper client. This one had something to do with movies, but other than that, I don't quite remember. One of my better 'faces' in a while. I was experimenting with a 'spray/spatter' technique now and again with scratchboard (on a limited basis), which looks real nice on my computer screen, but I never did find out how it ended up looking in the printed versions.


Also, in black and white, I had my monthly quota of 'health care' spots for my national newspaper client. I don't quite remember the topics of these, but if I had to guess, I'd say they were about 'aspirin', 'healthy bacteria', 'yoga in the sauna' and 'group health plans'.

I also had a series of spots for my educational publication. These were fairly easy (once I did the first 'coin'), and was just a matter of copying the original drawing and then breaking it up into different 'pie' slices.

No comments: