09 September 2002

Maps and Padres


I had a couple of interesting 'map projects' this month from my children's magazine client. The one above was for an article about the Vikings, and the illustration to the left is an enlarged detail of the small 'viking ship' included in the map.

I also had one about China (I don't remember the exact topic, or what these colored lines represent) for another of this client's publications. The 'underground railroad' map below that was for yet another publication, and was a logistical puzzle, keeping track of all the different overlapping arrows, plus finding room for a series of small vignettes on and around the map.


Another assignment I had in September, was a pair of 'anonymous priest' portraits that a jesuit magazine client of mine wanted for an upcoming article about the 'priesthood'. I took advantage of this client's usual willingness to let me experiment with different styles and techniques, and finished these in a mixed media approach, using watercolors, pastels and colored pencils (digitally of course) to an interesting effect. The 'models' were just random photos of 'men' I found on the internet, altered slightly, with the addition of a clerical collar. These would prove to be popular enough with this client to prompt another pair of similar illustrations a couple months later for a similar article.

No comments: