20 September 2002
I was assigned a series of three illustrations for a short fiction piece in a teen fiction digest in September of '02. The story revolved around a relative that was dying of cancer, and something to do with a box of family snapshots, and an old camera, so I chose to do all the illustrations with those old scalloped edge photo borders, and gave the scratchboards a bit of grey wash to try and emulate photographs. I thought they all turned out quite nice, but especially the one of the young man in the parking lot to the left.
I also had a 'poem' illustration for the same issue of the publication, so I approached that one with a little different style and technique. This was a poem about an accidental ice sculpture that occurs outside someone's window that resembles the 'hand of god' from Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel mural. This one didn't quite appeal to me, so I had a hard time bringing any enthusiasm to the project. It came out ok, but I wasn't all that crazy about the final product.
Above are my September quota of 'health care' spots for my national newspaper client. I'd been doing these weekly for about 6 months at this point. Also, for the same client were a pair of 'bookend' illustrations for a sunday chart, something about car repairs. (pictured below)
I also had another 'bookend' assignment this month, for an educational publication client of mine. This one dealth with racism and campus cliques, and I had the idea to do a sort of 'negative image' of either side of the article, with the two groups of students looking each other over.
09 September 2002
I had a couple of interesting 'map projects' this month from my children's magazine client. The one above was for an article about the Vikings, and the illustration to the left is an enlarged detail of the small 'viking ship' included in the map.
I also had one about China (I don't remember the exact topic, or what these colored lines represent) for another of this client's publications. The 'underground railroad' map below that was for yet another publication, and was a logistical puzzle, keeping track of all the different overlapping arrows, plus finding room for a series of small vignettes on and around the map.
Another assignment I had in September, was a pair of 'anonymous priest' portraits that a jesuit magazine client of mine wanted for an upcoming article about the 'priesthood'. I took advantage of this client's usual willingness to let me experiment with different styles and techniques, and finished these in a mixed media approach, using watercolors, pastels and colored pencils (digitally of course) to an interesting effect. The 'models' were just random photos of 'men' I found on the internet, altered slightly, with the addition of a clerical collar. These would prove to be popular enough with this client to prompt another pair of similar illustrations a couple months later for a similar article.