20 February 2002

Safety First


I had a fun baseball poem to illustrate for a children's magazine this month. This was sort of reminiscent of the very first assignment I ever got from this client back in '89. Of course, I goofed up and left the 'batting helmet' off of the girl above in the first version of this illustration and it got sent back for revisions later in the month. I should have known they would be sticklers for those kind of 'safety details' (every time you drawn someone on a bike, they need a helmet - if they are on skates, they need elbow pads, knee pads and helmets). Safe, to be sure, but not particularly enjoyable to look at or draw. My reasons for leaving it off in the first place, was purely for aesthetic reasons. I liked the shape of the hat on the girls' head. I liked seeing more of her hair. I was a baseball coach for a few years around this time, and I was well aware of batting helmets. Anyhow... I include them both here, just because I still liked the original one better.

No comments: