18 January 2002

Scratchboards in Color


One of my color scratchboard assignments this month allowed me the chance to draw not one, but two presidents in the same illustration. I forget the gist of the story, but it seems to me that the president mentioned somewhere that he was reading this particular book. This was for an east coast legal newspaper.

For many years, I've done a fair amount of work for a children's version of a large national magazine, which eventually went out of business. This trio of 'computer laptop' spots was the last assignment I would receive from this client, this one actually for the 'grown up' version of the magazine. A lot of fun assignments came from this client, and I was sorry to see them go.

The above illustration was another for the legal newspaper, and concerned 'military tribunals'.
The illustration below, was for an educational publication. The figure is supposed to look like she is getting ready to pole vault over the college gates, but I don't think I pulled it off.

The illustration below was for my east coast newspaper client, and was a caricature of the governor of NY. I've done this guy a couple times in the past, and he is always a tricky subject. This is probably my best likeness, but I wasn't crazy about the colors that I chose for his outfit. (again with the purple - what is it with my use of purple around this time? I seemed to use it for everything)

The illustration at left was another piece for the educational publication. I don't remember much about the story, except that it had something to do with Harvard, so I needed to do a little research on their cap and gown designs.

No comments: