18 August 2001

Tiny Cartoons




I got a lot of practice drawing tiny little cartoons in August of '01. The six illustrations above were for a college lifestyles magazine, and were a regular 'factoid' feature that I was contributing to for this magazine for many years.



Also this month I had a huge assignment of tiny black and white spot cartoons for a local children's publisher. About 170 of these small illustrations would be liberally sprinkled among the text of this 'writing workshop' book. The sizes varied, a lot of them were long horizontals, and a few were larger and more intricate. I did so many of these, and so quickly, that I barely even remember drawing many of them, and while I was going through the files, I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw.

These illustrations here are just a sampling of the many illustrations that I did for this project. Unfortunately I don't remember what kind of contract I signed with these projects, so I doubt if these are available as reprint material, although it wouldn't be too hard to rework or revise them into something new and different.

I remember these projects as being very time consuming, but they were invaluable practice at refining my cartoon style and in learning to simplify my concepts down to their bare bones.

No comments: