03 January 2001

Cartoons



I had a fun cartoon assignment for my east coast newspaper client in January. This was a large horizontal busy illustration that was to accompany an article about all the different 'camp options' available to send kids to in the summer (horse camp, music camp, etc etc). I've enlarged one section of it to better show the details that went into it. This was a favorite piece of the year, and would be used long afterwards as a sample of my 'cartoon style' on my own website.

This month marked the final two spot illustrations that I would provide for a long time local client, a regional magazine that I'd been working for since my first year in business. The rates were always very low, but the deadlines were usually pretty liberal, and I was always given lots of freedom and it was a good opportunity to practice my cartooning skills. My workload was becoming such, though, that I could no longer justify the time spent on these assignments.


Above was another 'puzzle page' assignment from a children's publication that I did regularly for a number of years. This one with a fun 'sci fi' theme.

To the left and below, are a few black and white cartoon assignments for my agent, for a michigan regional parenting publication.

No comments: