18 December 2000

A Cartoony Kind of Month


This was one of those unusual months, where I actually had more cartoon assignments than scratchboards (not to be repeated again for the next 7-8 years or more). It sure looks as if I'm having fun this month, there's a lot of sly humor creeping into a lot of the illustrations (also see the accompanying 'cartoon spots' entry this month), and I seem really at ease with the style, the linework and the colors.

The above illustration and the one to the left were two additional larger spots that I did for my 'college lifestyle' magazine client. Usually I just provided small spots for this client, so it was fun to stretch out a little and do something a little bigger and more involved.

Another 'larger' cartoon is pictured below, this one for a local christian parenting magazine, a full page assignment on 'busing'.


I also had an unusual assigment from my agent for a michigan regional parenting publication (pictured above). Usually, I only provide black and white illustrations for this client, so it was fun to try something in color. This was about the over saturation of marketing towards kids, and I tried to fit just about any kind of toy I could think of into the layout. Some of my usual subversive humor hidden away here and there (and an annoying toy my son got for christmas the previous year I notice down in the lower left corner).

The illustration to the left was for a major children's magazine publisher, and had something to do with 'family sing-a-long software' available for your home pc.

Another small cartoon for a different local parenting magazine is pictured to the right. I don't quite remember the angle of this particular story (play time with your children, perhaps?)

Pictured below is an assignment this month for my east coast newspaper client. This one dealt with teen workers in the fast food industry.

Another assignment for the same client is below that, a piece on holiday weight loss.

No comments: