22 August 2000

Back in the Day

One of my favorite 'busy cartoons' of the year is pictured at left. This was one of the images that I did for an article in one of my children's magazines this month. A multi-illustration assignment on 'living in ancient Babylon'. This particular one was of a royal banquet, and I had a lot of fun filling it with lots of color and detail. It took forever to do, but it was worth the time (I don't know how that 'where's waldo' guy does book after book of these things). Now just for fun, 1. find the dog, 2. find the spilled wine jug, 3. find the ham, 4. find the musicians, 5. find a guy eating a turkey leg.

Other illustrations in the series had to wrap around text blocks, so there are a few blank white areas in the illustrations below. After spending all my time and energy on the 'banquet scene', I made the rest of these not quite so busy. First, a typical street scene with fruit market. Below that an image depicting the 'making of bricks'. Below that, a 'doctor's visit' with various pest infestations typical of the Babylonian home.


Also for the same magazine, but in a different section, I was asked to do a 'view of the city' which nearly took as much time as the 'banquet scene' but with different challenges. I've never been very good at architecture, but I thought this one turned out fairly nice.


Next this month, we travelled to Ancient Rome to take a look at daily life of the average Roman citizen (not sure if this was all for the same magazine, or if there was a common theme running through a series of publications for this issue). The above illustration was of a street scene, and I also had a 'cutaway' illustration below showing a typical 'domus' or roman house. (more architecture - ug - and another one that took a long time to complete).

I also had a series of small spots to go with these, but I've decided to include them in the 'color scratchboard' posting for this month.

No comments: