10 July 2000

Misc Color assignments in July


I had a few nautical pieces this month for one of my children's magazine clients. This series of articles had to do with various aspects of the revolutionary war (secretly supplying the troops, unusual allies, etc). The illustration above was of a supply ship being unloaded (or loaded, not sure which) under cover of darkness, and the illustration to the left was a filler spot showing one of the supply ships under way. Below is a two page spread portraying the supplies being handed out to fresh recruits.


The above illustration was presumably for the same series of articles, and shows a clash between two sets of mercenary troops (if memory serves).

I also received a rather oddball assignment from an east coast College mouthpiece magazine in July, this was a pair of bookend illustrations portraying Carl Everett dressed in Harvard robes, and a Harvard prof (forget his name) dressed up in Red Sox garb. The whole assignment felt real awkward, and it shows in the illustrations.

The above illustration was for a catholic magazine client of mine that I've been working for since the early nineties, and I think this was the very first time that this client made use of my 'cartoon' style (previously all illustrations were done in scratchboard).
Below is another Michigan regional parenting publication assignment from my agent. This one was rather unusual, as they wanted me to provide them with 2 color separations for a color wash -- I've combined them here for the sample, but in delivering the work, I had to send them two separate files. One of the last times I've ever had to do this sort of thing, as this type of printing is rarely ever done anymore with the new digital processes.

Below is an assignment for my east coast newspaper client. This was to show the new concept of 'online banking'. Strange to think that only 8 years ago this seemed newfangled.

No comments: