29 June 2000

Bible Posters Part One


This summer I had a rather large labor intensive project for a local religious publisher. A series of 20 'bible story' posters, measuring 18 x 24 each. These were quite similar to projects I've been doing for another local organization, but the style was slightly different, these being for a different audience (most of the other 'bible story' projects I've been doing have been for mentally handicapped adults, and the client requested that the images be kept 'simple' so as not to confuse). I still did these in a semi-cartoon style, mainly for expediency's sake, though I got a bit more detailed than I usually do, and allowed a few of the crowd scenes to get quite busy. Some of these turned out better than others, overall, looking back at them, I wish I'd made use of more large solid black areas to help with the overall contrast.

I had a little subversive fun with these early images, including some 'less than desirable' animals in the 'adam and eve' illustration; a warthog, a skunk, a coral snake, a gorilla (I wonder, did skunks stink in the garden of eden?), and a pair of walruses in the Noah's Ark picture (they must've been interesting to gather), but pretty much played it straight for the rest of them.

These two illustrations above and below could have definitely benefited from more solid blacks in the layout, they both seem a bit flat and washed out.

more to come in 'bible posters part two'...

No comments: