12 February 2000

Color scratchings


The color scratchboards this month were a mixed bag. The simpler ones continue to be quite nice, but the more space I am given and the more detail I clutter them with, the less effective they seem to be. The illustration above was for an educational publication. I imagine it had something to do with library research, but other than that I don't quite remember.

I have a number of illustrations this month for my east coast legal newspaper, but half of them were actually for the month of March, and I overlooked them on the first go-round. The 'revolving door' illustration to the left was one of these, as well as the 'art gallery/blueprint' illustration pictured below right, neither of which I remember the story behind, but both good examples of how a 'simpler' illustration seems to be much more effective in this style, while the 'book archaologists' above seems a bit cluttered and overworked.

The 'genie computer' illustration below and to the left was another for the same client, either in February or March of this year. Funny how quickly these 'computer' illustrations are already looking pretty dated with only 8 years gone by.

The illustration below was another color piece for my east coast newspaper client. This one probably had something to do with family finances, or something of the sort. My memory seems to be failing me on a lot of these illustrations the further back in the archives I go.

This illustration to the left was another for the same client, and another good example of how much better I was at this time with handling small spots, as opposed to larger illustrations (like above), especially around this time (I seem to have gotten a little better at handling them these days, but they still intimidate).

The above illustration was for a midwest evangelical magazine, and concerned an abusive parent or coach and a young fellow trying to be a fair referee at a high school football game.

The previous summer, I had a series of illustrations for a corporate client, in which I was asked to draw some children playing on musical staves as if they were playground equipment. I was approached this spring to combine a number of these illustrations into a single stave (pictured below).

No comments: