17 February 2000

Cartoon Assignment



I had a rather large assignment this month for a national parenting magazine. This involved rather rambunctious children and how to deal with them. The article opened with the large spread above, and then smaller spots of a similar nature were sprinkled throughout the rest of the piece. I originally had intended to put in my usual 'pets' (my cat Ripley and my dog Dinky), but after the first round of sketches, the art director requested a different type dog.

The spot below was originally much more horizontal, with the 'speed cloud' zooming across the bottom of a two page spread, but I've cut it down in size to better show the pertinent details.

Looking through the clutter scattered around the living room in the opening spread, and around the tired mother below that, I notice a lot of my son's toys got included in the mix. Eventually the article goes beyond describing the 'trouble with rambunctious kids' and starts offering suggestions for ways to channel all that extra energy in positive ways. (rollerblading and dancing, as seen here - and note all the safety gear on the rollerblading kid and adult, all very specifically and painstakingly itemized for my drawing purposes) -- I was probably really dating myself with this record player - I wonder how many of the readers were puzzled by this illustration (below). I know I should have used some sort of cd player, but I just liked the esthetics of the record player better.

No comments: