20 February 2000
Another map assignment from my children's magazine publisher this month. This one ended up being one of the more time consuming maps I'd yet done for this client, but also ended up being one of my favorites. Another map for the same client is below, but not quite as interesting.
The above illustration was another for the same client, another in a long line of 'puzzle page' illustrations for one of their science publications.
Below is a rare full page color assignment for my local regional publication client, I don't quite remember the topic.
I had another series of illustrations this month for my west coast magazine client. These were usually a single large color illustration for the cover, with accompanying 3 or 4 smaller black and white illustrations on a similar theme. Flowers with 'apology cards' this time.
19 February 2000
This month I had the first of two textbook assignments from a new publishing client (the second would follow in March). This consisted of a series of black and white scratchboard illustrations of various sizes and shapes for a book, in which I gathered that I would be one of several artists contributing, in order to expedite the project. Most of the illustrations in this first batch are pictured here and had to do with shipwrecks, most notably the Titanic and the Lusitania. I've not included several spot illustrations of 'icebergs' as they were not quite as interesting, although drawn nicely. I got a lot of good practice learning new techniques in black and white scratchboard with this project, especially in the use of the 'scratchboard rake' tool, for use in large areas of 'grey'. A lot of the techniques learned on this project would end up being adopted across the board in the months and years ahead.
This 'Lusitania' sequence was actually originally one long horizontal (above and below), but I've broken it into two parts so that I could show it in better detail here.
12 February 2000
The color scratchboards this month were a mixed bag. The simpler ones continue to be quite nice, but the more space I am given and the more detail I clutter them with, the less effective they seem to be. The illustration above was for an educational publication. I imagine it had something to do with library research, but other than that I don't quite remember.
I have a number of illustrations this month for my east coast legal newspaper, but half of them were actually for the month of March, and I overlooked them on the first go-round. The 'revolving door' illustration to the left was one of these, as well as the 'art gallery/blueprint' illustration pictured below right, neither of which I remember the story behind, but both good examples of how a 'simpler' illustration seems to be much more effective in this style, while the 'book archaologists' above seems a bit cluttered and overworked.
The 'genie computer' illustration below and to the left was another for the same client, either in February or March of this year. Funny how quickly these 'computer' illustrations are already looking pretty dated with only 8 years gone by.
The illustration below was another color piece for my east coast newspaper client. This one probably had something to do with family finances, or something of the sort. My memory seems to be failing me on a lot of these illustrations the further back in the archives I go.
This illustration to the left was another for the same client, and another good example of how much better I was at this time with handling small spots, as opposed to larger illustrations (like above), especially around this time (I seem to have gotten a little better at handling them these days, but they still intimidate).
The above illustration was for a midwest evangelical magazine, and concerned an abusive parent or coach and a young fellow trying to be a fair referee at a high school football game.
The previous summer, I had a series of illustrations for a corporate client, in which I was asked to draw some children playing on musical staves as if they were playground equipment. I was approached this spring to combine a number of these illustrations into a single stave (pictured below).
One of the rare 'food/recipe' illustrations I did for my east coast newspaper client in the cartoon style (most of the rest were done in oil pastels). One of my favorite cartoons of the year.
I also had a rare cartoon assignment from my educational publication. Usually I work in scratchboard for this client. I don't quite remember what these stories were about, but they sure look interesting. (two illustrations below)
I also had a series of small spot illustrations for my college lifestyle magazine client. The larger one above was for an article about 'getting attention' with regards to school elections, and the other three smaller spots to the left and below were on various topics for their 'factoid' department.
I also had a few larger spots (but reproduced smaller here), for my agent, for a michigan regional parenting magazine. These were both separated out for two color, something I rarely ever have to do anymore with improvements in printing technology.
01 February 2000
In the spring of 2000, I signed up for a new 'online portfolio' site that seemed to have a lot of good industry backing, and a certain number of reputable names attached to it. I'd been checking out other sites in the preceeding year, and a lot of them had a certain 'fly by night' quality about them. I've been quite happy with my association with this company, and have renewed my membership every year since. I don't receive a lot of calls from my listing on this site, but I do seem to get at least one or two quality jobs because of it every year. The link to my 'ispot portfolio' is found in the sidebar of this blog.