17 January 2000

January Cartoon Assignments


One thing I have been amazed to discover as I dig deeper in the archives, is how much of my workload was made up of the 'cartoon' style back around this time. These days (around '08 is when I'm writing this) I work almost exclusively in scratchboard, aside from the occasional exception. One positive aspect of this, is that I've gotten much better at the scratchboard than I was in 2000, but I wonder if I've lost a bit of the spontenaety and fun that I'd picked up from working so much in a lighter style.

The illustration above was for my east coast newspaper client, an illustration on 'busy working mothers'. The black and white illustration to the left was part of a larger 'text heavy' illustration that I did for my agent this month, for a michigan regional parenting magazine (the rest of the illustration covered a lot of space, and was mostly made up of rather dull hand lettering).
Another hand lettering assignment for the same client is pictured below, and was a bit more interesting, trying to make letters out of various 'school projects'. I don't do lettering very often, but this one was kind of fun and challenging.

The tutorial on 'how to use chopsticks' pictured to the left was for a children's publication client this month.

Below are a few more cartoon illustrations for my east coast newspaper client. Most of the 'cartoon assignments' were for the 'ladies lifestyle' section, as the lighter, less serious style seemed to fit the tone of the articles a little better than the heavy handed dark scratchboard technique.

The 'woman giving flowers to herself' illustration was for an article about being single on Valentine's Day, and consequently, being nice to yourself. Below that, was a larger illustration about safety issues for work at home Moms, with an imaginary inspector pointing out what's wrong (labelled 'inspector' on his helmet in case you missed the point).



Above is a 'puzzle' assignment for one of my children's magazine clients (a kids version of a well known consumer advocate magazine, which unfortunately ceased publication the following year). This puzzle had something to do with twins and finding similar shapes hidden through the room.

To the left and below were a few more black and white assignments for my agent (same client as the other two black and white assignments above), both having to do with valentine's day presumably.

No comments: