17 October 1999
Just as I was starting out with a new client this month (see other posting), this month also proved to be the end of a run with another regular client. The above illustration was a full page illustration for a west coast legal magazine. This one had to do with 'cyber conflicts' of the future, and I enjoyed playing around with various tools to get the necessary sci-fi effects for this one.
For another west coast magazine, I had another in a series of illustration projects in which I provide one larger color piece for the cover, and four small black and white spots for the inside, all on a similar theme. I usually do the cover in scratchboard, but thought I'd try something a little different this time. I'm not sure it was all that successful. I actually like the inside pieces better on this one than the cover, for a change. You'll notice I also used the same 'starburst' effect that I used for the sun on the illustration at the start of this post. There are so many nifty gimmicky tools in this Painter toolbox, that you really have to resist the urge to use most of them, as they are a dead giveaway that you are using a computer (I prefer clients to be surprised that I use a computer, tending towards art that actually looks hand drawn).
And back on the east coast, I had another new client this month. This one had to do with the anniversary of Bayer Aspirin (if memory serves).
16 October 1999
There were more than a few 'baseball' themed assignments in the month of October this year. The above 'overhead' view of a ball diamond was for one of my children's magazine clients as a background for a 'word search puzzle'. For the same client, I also had a pair of 'bookend' illustrations showing a crowd of baseball fans that would go on either end of a two page spread. I managed to sneak a self portrait into the right hand side of the bleachers.
For the same client this month, I had a couple illustrations for a story about Jackie Robinson in his years prior to breaking the race barrier in Major League Baseball. This was a little different style than I usually did, using the watercolor tools exclusively.
Also for the same client this month was a two page spread illustration depicting a youth game in progress. I did this one in scratchboard for the most part, although I worked the background in watercolor. I wasn't too crazy about how this one turned out. Purple was a poor color choice for the bleachers.
12 October 1999
In this post are a sampling of illustrations from a larger project that I worked on in October of '99. This was a 'booklet' for a local religious organization that they would use for their teaching curriculum. The audience for these booklets were adults and children with learning disabilities. Some of the illustrations dealt with stories from the bible, and others dealt with day to day issues pertaining to the lessons. The overall theme of this particular package had to do with 'work'.
01 October 1999
I had a few assignments this month for my agent, for a Michigan regional parenting publication. These were a little more 'involved' than usual, and one of them needed a 'color separation' (below), but both turned out quite nice. The one above had to do with the hustle and bustle of holiday planning, and the one below had something to do with fairie tales presumably.
The rather unusual 'chicken' illustration above was for an east coast newspaper, and the illustration below was for a midwest evangelical magazine (something to do with 'preserving grannies memories' no doubt).