04 December 1999

Busy month from a new client


I was just starting to get a lot of regular work from my new national newspaper client starting around this time. Most of the assignments were rather small in size, but I was more than happy with that, as this was the ideal format for this particular style, especially at this stage in my skills. The above was my first 'bear and bull' for this financial publication (and wouldn't be the last), and I had a few more in rapid succession (the crystal ball illustration below, and the 'party bulls' below that).

The 'newspaper scandal' illustration to the right was one of two small spots (the other being the 'chalkboard' illustration below) for the same client this month.
Most of the work for this client was on a 'same day' basis (with an occasional two day lead time, but it was rare), where I would be called sometime in the mid morning with an assignment, I would have sketches sent over in an hour or so, and then once okayed, the final to be delivered by late afternoon. I have no problem with that schedule, and in fact prefer to work this way, instead of large involved projects that hang over my head for weeks (and generally pay far less). Over the years I've learned to anticipate when jobs are likely come in, and in later years would even start working remotely via cell phone and laptop from whereever I happen to be.

The 'egg' illustration below to the right was one of my favorites of these early illustrations for this client, and I would recycle it as business card art for myself during the next year. I think what I like best about it is the simplicity. I have an unfortunate tendency to overwork my illustrations, and it is a revelation when I see what can be done with much less.

The 'acorn' illustration to the left was another for the same client in December.

Sometimes I would get some odd shaped illustration requests, usually when the art has to work around a pre-existing chart or graphic. The illustration below was one of these 'oddball' shapes and portrays an investor taking the 'hard way' towards a destination.

Below that is a piece for the same client on the 'computer industry', and this is one of the earliest examples of my using a 'scratchboard rake' tool to add a tone to the background of an illustration (and not very carefully, I might add).

No comments: