06 March 1999

Mysterious Characters



I had another batch of 'character portraits' for a short lived glossy national 'mystery magazine' this month. I had done a batch of these the year before, although I didn't recognize any of the characters or authors this time. The challenge with these was to somehow show the character without getting into too much detail with facial features, and concentrate instead on settings, props and atmosphere, and at the same time give it a 'mystery' feel.



I also had a couple scratchboard assignments this month from an east coast legal newspaper client of mine. The one above had to do with 'patent law', and the one below dealt with 'investigative journalism' in light of the fracas going on with the current administration's romantic scandals.


The above full page black and white illustration was for a midwest legal publication, and the two images below were for my educational publication client. I don't quite remember the story behind these illustrations, although the one on the bottom dealt with a bookstore of some kind.

No comments: