05 February 1999

Crash!


The illustration above was for a west coast legal magazine. It was a challenge, as I wasn't too confident drawing cars, and drawing two cars smashed together was a logistical nightmare. I'm not crazy about the color choices I made, but I seemed to have had fun with the actual drawing. This was a big one, stretching across a two page spread (not sure how it looked with the fold coming right at the point of impact, unless this was the center fold of the magazine.).

I had a handful of other scratchboard illustrations this month, all of them fairly ho hum. The illustration to the left was a same day illustration for my east coast newspaper client and had to do with some Serb/Croat peace accords. I liked how the bones looked at the bottom of the cliff, but wasn't too crazy about the 'stack of papers' teetering on the edge of a cliff concept as a whole. And the execution of the 'cliff face' wasn't up to snuff, I definitely would have done it a bit differently today (perhaps with the stack of bones a bit more prominent and fading to black sillouetes on the left edge, and given the left side of the cliff more definition.


From time to time, my east coast legal newspaper client would hand me a cover illustration, but in such a way that it would incorporate several small elements that could then be pulled out to use throughout the inside of the issue. It was really a money saving scheme for them, and a logistical headache for me, and usually ended up with a confusing mess of an illustration that I wasn't too happy with. The illustration above was a prime example. It doesn't work as a full page illustration, and I'm sure the small spots were less than interesting as well. Nobody to blame but myself and my own shortcomings, though, really.

The illustration to the right was for my educational publication client. I don't quite remember the topic, something to do with disabilities perhaps?

Below is an illustration for my east coast newspaper client. This one for the lifestyle section and probably had something to do with divorce, or maybe coping with absentee spouses.

No comments: