10 August 1998

Summer Funnies


The above cartoon, and the one below were both for Gemini Publications (Grand Rapids Magazine, Grand Rapids Parent). Prior to this date, most of the illustrations for this client were in black and white, and it was only in rare instances when color was requested. In future assignments the opposite would be the norm. Not sure why, perhaps printing in color became more affordable around this time, or budgets increased (not that I would get paid any more for doing them in color).

The rest of the illustrations on this page were for Oxendine Publishing (Student Leader). The 'archaology' illustrations were done in my more routine 'cartoon' style, and the small factoid illustrations were done in more of an experimental 'computer-ish' style that the client preferred, but I would steer them towards the above style because it was something I was more comfortable working in, and was a style that I thought looked a LOT better.

Oddly enough, August was a rare month in which most of my work was done in a 'cartoon' style, and I only had a few rare 'scratchboard' assignments (examples to be found in another posting this month).