05 August 1998

August Odds & Ends


Oddly enough, there were very little 'scratchboard' illustrations this month. Most jobs were 'cartoon-ish' in nature, and the rest were experimental in style. The above 'food' illustration was for Newsday. This would become a regular feature that I would contribute to for a year or so. Below is another assignment for the same paper, this one had something to do with navigating the 'downtown maze'.

The illustration to the left was for the Chronicle of Higher Education. I probably shouldn't have used a collage technique on the 'dollar carpet', because of the curve. One of the temptations of working digitally that has tripped me up with during these early years.

The rest of the illustrations this month were for various Cobblestone publications. The 'aztec calendar maze' below was a fun challenge, but I think I should have 'curved' the type, or hand lettered them.

The following illustrations were all for the same 'article' in the same title. Something to do with stolen Nazi gold, and for some reason I did each illustration in a different style.