30 March 1998

Devil May Care


I was approached this month by a designer I was acquainted with through Strang Communications. They wanted me to play around with some ideas for a book cover with some 'demon' imagery. I don't remember why he is cowering or covering his ears in all of them, but I'm sure it was part of the specs. The job never actually materialized, but I received a kill fee for the sketches, and since these were some fairly tight sketches, I hung onto them and I decided to post them here. I was experimenting with different techniques and styles, and it was fun to play around with something that wasn't my usual bread and butter type work. I did end up doing one of them in a scratchboard technique (above), and I think that two of the ones below were actually different stages of the same illustration.