03 February 1998

Stretching


One of the benefits (or drawbacks, depending on how you look at it) of this new digital style, was the ability to try out new techniques and styles that I had previously steered clear of. More often than not I was fairly green to the use of these techniques (like airbrush above, or oils below), but I am always eager to try something new, even if I fall flat on my face. Thankfully, there are clients who are willing to fall with you.

The above illustration was for my agent, for the Amway Corporation. One of the rare occasions where I've ever tried something approaching airbrushed realism. I did pretty good on the 'smooth and juicy bits', but wasn't so good on the other textures, like the pineapple skin and the kiwi hulls.

I also had an assignment this month for the Chronicle of Higher Education on the subject of 'human cloning'. I thought it only fitting that I used a lot of cloning techniques in creating the image.

Another map for Cobblestone, this one a lot of fun with lots of mountains and rivers. This is only my third or fourth map for this client so far since going digital, and it looks like I'm still working some of the bugs out of my technique.

For the same client, I had a series of illustrations for a story about the 'orphan trains' of the thirties. I liked how the first ilustration came out, but the other two were a little 'iffy' both in layout and execution.