12 September 1997

Early Digital Scratchboards


The 'sadist policeman' illustration above was one of the first digital illustrations that I did for Newsday. These assignments were usually same day affairs, with a call sometime before noon, and the finish due sometime by the end of the day. The way we worked it previously, I would send a sketch via fax, and then send the finish via fax as well. I would drive down to the copy shop to enlarge the artwork as much as possible, since I knew that the resolution on the fax machine would no doubt muddy up my artwork. What a relief to now send finals, in clear crisp resolution, as digital files via email now. It made working for this client so much easier in a single bold stroke. The 'cubicle' illustration below is another for the same client this month.

I had my first assignment for National Business Employment Weekly this month The story was about retirees who don't want to go easily into retirement (my mother is one of those people). I enjoyed one of my alternate sketches for this one so much, that I finished it up a couple months later for the reprint market (see the posting in February of '98)


This 'militia man' illustration was for the Chronicle of Higher Education, and was one of the earliest digital pieces that I did for this long time client. This illustration probably went with the 'modern militia man' that I erroneously posted in October's scratchboard illustrations, as a bookend type illustration for a two page spread.

I also had a 'footnotes' illustration for the same client this month, where I first tried using scanned type as part of an illustration. The illustration below that was an early digital illustration for Legal Times. I also had a couple color assignments from them this month, that I'll be posting in another entry.