18 September 1996

Life Drawings


I seem to remember taking another life drawing course at our local community college sometime in the mid-nineties, but the dates escape me. I'm not even completely sure about which drawings to assign to this time period, but I'm pretty sure about these three. This was a more advanced classroom situation than some of them have been, and there was a bit more experimentation with mediums, and longer time spent on single poses, rather than the quick gestures that take up much of a beginner's class (although it is usually common to start out each and every class with a certain amount of gesture drawing as a way of loosening up). The above drawing was a rare attempt at oil pastels. I'm only slightly less intimidated by this medium than I am by oil paints. I frequently overwork the colors until they become mud. This one wasn't too bad.