18 May 1995

Local Cartoon Spots


One of my earliest clients was Gemini Publications, a local magazine publisher who put out Grand Rapids Magazine, Grand Rapids Parent and Grand Rapids Business Journal. I don't have very good records as to when any of these illustrations actually ran, but I can guess based on the style and narrow it down to certain periods of time. I'm guessing most of the pieces in this posting were done for this client sometime in the middle to late 90s.


I usually only did cartoon work for this client, and I tried to avoid doing scratchboard for them, because I couldn't justify the pay rates with the extra amount of time it took to draw in that style, not to mention the cost of materials. I did, however, occasionally work in that format if I felt I could afford to spend the time on it. The illustration below is one of those rare instances.