13 February 1995

Going Batty



After 6 years of doing inside story work for Cricket magazine, I finally got a cover shot for them early in '95. An interesting layout, but I'm not crazy about the technique I used. I tried to mix acrylic paints and scratchboard as a way of showing some depth of field and lighten up the colors for a brighter cover (despite the night-time scene). I continued regularly contributing to the inside of the magazine for several years afterwards and got another chance at a cover assignment over ten years later (I think I did much better the second time).

I also had a trio of spots this month for Marriage Partnership (Christianity Today). These were a semi-regular affair, and usually involved stories related to 'men's lifestyles'. The top one was something to do with a survey of women who would prefer a husband who looks like Danny DeVito but who does the dishes, over a man who looks like Robert Redford. I forget the topics of the other two. These were a little different in style from either my usual scratchboard, or cartoon style, I guess you would call this my 'fallback caricature style', almost cartoon, but a bit more refined and controlled. (and done with a rapideograph pen as opposed to the brush and ink I used in the cartoons)